July, 2022. Oh man, do I just suck at marketing and self promotion? Apparently yes. Here’s a book that is so absolutely brilliant, so amazing, so revelatory and groundbreaking that it turned into a trilogy all by itself.
So what do we have in the first volume, the early years?
- Well, now that Jody Whittaker is out of the way, we can give proper credit to Barbara Benedetti, the first woman to play the Doctor, through a series of four, unlicensed half hour adventures in the 80s. Back when Doctor Who was at its lowest point, with the trial of a time lord, the attempted cancellation, the disastrous first McCoy season, there was Barbara, effortlessly hitting it out of the park. Go ahead, compare Mindwarp and Time of the Rani to the Wrath of Eukor and Visions of Utomu. I dare ya.
- The early Super8 film years of fandom and fan films, including a bunch of lost gems, and featuring the Image Makers, Ocean in the Sky and Mission of Doom
- The early video wave, including the gothic Troughton/Davison crossover Spectre from the Past;
- The recreation of Tom Baker’s Sontaran Experiment… with Cybermen
* The Reign of Turner and the odyssey of the Federation
- Vaulkherd, Rutan and The Alliance, the stories of Sharon Horton, the second woman to play the Doctor
The Reign of Timebase and the Rupert Booth Doctor, the true Doctor of the 90s, with 12 episodes comprising five stories, plus three shorts
Review – Regenesis
Review – Phase Four
Review – Paradise in Chains
Review – Long Shadows
Review – The Hidden Face
Finally, reviews of great overlooked films Resurrenction of Evil, The Chronotron Effect, Dealers of Death and Time and Again